17 August 2011

Tsunami - Baton Rouge, LA


100 Lafayette Street
Baton Rouge, LA 70801

I'm in Baton Rouge for a conference.  The first night we attempted to dine at Tsunami, across the street from our downtown hotel.  Despite it being a Tuesday night, the place was packed, and we were advised we needed reservations, otherwise it would be a 1 - 1.5 hr wait.  We ate elsewhere.


The second night of my trip, I gathered my coworkers, booked a reservation, and finally ate at Tsunami.

I should start by saying the ambiance is beautiful.  It's on the top floor of the Shaw Center for the Arts, and has a beautiful view of the river and setting sun.* 

We ordered:
  • Caterpillar Roll
  • Crunchy Roll
  • Dragon Roll
  • Green Monster
  • Ragin' Cajun
  • Transvesbite Roll
  • Spicy Tuna Roll
  • Philadelphia Roll
They were all good.  Except the Dragon Roll.  They can keep that one.  It looks lovely but was completely flavorless unless submerged in soy sauce, after which it tasted only like the soy sauce you chose to douse it in: Light Soy Sauce, or Tabasco Soy Sauce.

I need to point out a few things:
  1. The Crunchy Roll was shrimp, avocado and Tsunami sauce.  NOT softshell crab, like I usually expect when ordering a roll of that name.  It was pretty good, don't get me wrong.
  2. Green Monster was the first sushi I had ever had with fruitDelicious.  The sweetness of the fruit was very subtle and quite perfect.  Here's the description: snow crab, cream cheese, coconunt shrimp, cucumber topped with avocado, kiwi and strawberries in a plum sauce.  Mmmmmm...
  3. Ragin' Cajun was fried alligator in the roll, topped with crawfish and sauce.  Wow.  Spicy but delectable.
  4. Transvesbite was on the specials-of-the-day menu, and reminded me a lot of the Pink Ladies I like so much at NagoyaThe insides weren't quite as perfect, but the outside was also deep fried, giving it that illustrious texture I enjoy so much.
All in all, quite enjoyable.  Not too pricey.  Friendly wait staff.  Lovely view.  Good, innovative sushi.  Their wobsite claims they have a location in Lafayette, too.

*There is also seating available out on the terrace, but we opted to eat indoors.  It's August--in Louisiana--and therefore at least 200°F outdoors around 8pm.

No comments:

Post a Comment